Skip to main content

To all the mothers, I am sorry

This year has really been a whirlwind.

I welcomed my first child into the world on 20 March.

To say that it's been a huge change is an understatement. But I have an apology to make. That apology is to all the mothers out there who I did not understand...at least before I had my daughter.

I'm sorry that I failed to understand why you could not be on time. I used to think that it was as simple as shoving your child into the carseat and starting the ignition. I mean what is so hard about that? You just grab the kid and go right?....

I did not understand that infants need to be fed on demand. That they can have a poo explosion at any time. A crying fit for no reason. All these things can contribute to punctuality. Not to mention the sheer amount of things you need to pack for simple outings that may last an hour or two. Have I got the formula? the bibs? the bottles? the plastic bags to put dirty nappies? the spare change of clothes (or two)? the change mat? not to mention my own belongings. I am exhausted before I am even out the door sometimes..and it's not just from the lack of sleep. It's from how much more complicated my life just got.

I am sorry to the mothers who I judged for having a crying baby on airplanes. I wouldn't dare have the courage to try that one anytime soon.

I am sorry for the looks I gave you when your pram nearly took me out. Prams are big and awkward. They are hard to manoeuvre and I myself have nearly taken people out in lifts with my pram. (Sorry to the nice understanding lady in the lift yesterday). I am not aware of how big this pram is and am getting used to it myself.

Then theres the judgment I gave while you breast fed. I thought that mothers could just pull out the 'modesty bib/blanket' and get on with it. Why did I need to see the nipples? I now get it. Getting a baby to latch on is hard enough without fussing over whether anyone is watching. If you think that mothers should express milk before going out in public.. expect them to be another 90 minutes late. Expressing milk from a pump takes time. It's also super draining.

The point is that your baby needs to be fed. Have you tried reasoning with a hungry newborn? Yes... good luck. Also once that latch is in place.. you're stuck there for the next 40 minutes. Breast feeding sure isn't as easy as it looks.

I'm sorry.

I am sorry for the ignorance I had when it came to hospital visitations. While I didn't visit my friends in the hospital, I didn't think visiting was a crime. That is.. until I had my own child.

Have you ever tried to recover from major abdominal surgery, had your breasts leaking everywhere, blood pouring out of you, been sleep deprived, trying to work out your newborn and then having to deal with visitors on top of that?

I was not aware of this little thing called 'Baby Blues' which emerges around day three after childbirth. It happens and it is very real.Your body is a mess. Your emotions are a mess. Having a child is over whelming. Some women may be fine with visitations.  I wasn't one of them but up until having a child. I wasn't aware.

I'm sorry.

I'm sorry to the working mothers who I secretly envied for having jobs where they could have a day or two off a week to look after their kids. I envisioned it like a holiday. Wow.

After spending 24/7 with my newborn for a week. I want to run back to work. Or talk to any adult. The postman? The midwife? I need adult company. I'll chat to anyone over the age of 18.

Having a child is a full time job. Except it's not 9 to 5.

It's  a 24/7 job with no payment. Yet, for every smile my newborn gives me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

When mothers tell you that nothing prepares you for childbirth they are right.

So on behalf of  the young-ignorant-childfree me. I am sorry to all the mothers out there.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We won't achieve Gender Equality until Ardern's situation is viewed as normal.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern discovered she was pregnant only six days away from being announced as Prime Minister on 19 October 2017. At first she and partner Clarke Gayford chose to keep it quiet but since announcing her pregnancy the 37 year old has received a mixed response with some feeling 'betrayed' by the announcement, accusing her of being 'selfish' for putting her needs before her country and that she chose to have her baby at the wrong time and should have 'waited' until she wasn't prime minister. Others have suggested that due to the pregnancy she will not be 'fit for purpose' and cannot possibly handle being prime minister as well as being pregnant. Mainly because you know....'baby brain?' There has also been concern around the amount of time she will take for maternity leave. Ardern has stated that she is going to take six weeks off and that her partner Gayford will look after the baby. Ardern's situat

‘Let them eat cake’ - How NSW Youth fell through the cracks under Berejiklian

Youth are being sold the carrot of NSW’s strong economy, even though they fail to benefit from it.  At yesterday’s campaign launch Berejiklian announced that NSW can ‘have it all’. Speaking to the crowd, she boasted about the lowest unemployment rates in NSW..ever. Berejiklian has pledged to spend billions on schools, hospitals and infrastructure.  The carrot for voters?  NSW’s strong economy.  NSW’s strong economy is conducive the astronomical property boom that Sydney experienced. Sydney’s median house prices experienced an 86 per cent increase in the last 5 years. Stamp duty from property has contributed to the budget surplus.  That surplus has been spent on infrastructure under Berejiklian and her predecessors, including the light rail project, West Connex and the demolishing of the ANZ stadium.  If you think that NSW will have never ending surpluses to spend in the coming years, you may be mistaken.   The spending spree will have to come to a halt. As there are some

Goodbye, Mr Bean: As Dastyari resigns we need to revisit the legitimacy of political donations

Goodbye, Mr Bean: As Dastyari resigns we need to revisit the legitimacy of political donations Sam Dastyari has announced his resignation yesterday amid pressure from parliament and the general public. Dastyari, as we now know accepted a payment from Chinese based real estate company Yuhu Property Group to settle a legal bill. Chinese billionaire Mr Huang Xiangmo owns Yuhu. In 2013, Dastyari was being sued for $40,000 by an advertising company called  ' Diversified Communications ’ for preparatory work on the ALP campaign. This was when Dastyari was General Secretary of the NSW ALP. The contract was then cancelled when Kevin Rudd was given the flick (or the stab in the back, depending on how you look at it). The payment from Yuhu to settle the legal bill was around $5,000. You cannot help but wonder whether the 5k paid was the full amount disclosed? and why Diversified Communications accepted such a low figure in settlement? Dastyari's name has been dragged thro